Head injuries and concussions occur in nearly every sport. From cycling to skiing, swimming to horseback riding, there are head injuries reported in every athletic discipline.
Luckily, Sports Shieldz caps are appropriate for nearly every playing field, and optimal extra protection that can be added to any helmeted sport.
While no protective device on the market can help you avoid a sport-related head injury, you can get the added assurance that Sports Shieldz caps offers to protect your most valuable asset–your brain.
Below is the list of the top 12 sports with the highest incidence of head injuries in the US.* Some of them may surprise you.
- Cycling: 85,389
- Football: 46,948
- Baseball and Softball: 38,394
- Basketball: 34,692
- Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing, Water Tubing): 28,716
- Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 26,606
- Soccer: 24,184
- Skateboards/Scooters: 23,114
- Fitness/Exercise/Health Club: 18,012
- Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,948
- Horseback Riding: 14,466
- Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 10,223
These are the top 10 sports-related head-injury categories among children ages 14 and younger.
- Cycling: 40,272
- Football: 21,878
- Baseball and Softball: 18,246
- Basketball: 14,952
- Skateboards/Scooters: 14,783
- Water Sports: 12,843
- Soccer: 8,392
- Powered Recreational Vehicles: 6,818
- Winter Sports: 6,750
- Trampolines: 5,025
*Data from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. Activities represent the categories contributing to the highest number of estimated head injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009.
Please note that a proper fit is essential to providing the protection for which a helmet is designed. An improperly fitting helmet can result in serious injury or death to the wearer. Sport Shieldz disclaims any liability for the improper fitting of helmets. You should always adhere to instructions or warnings issued by helmet manufacturers when using their products. We recommend that you contact the helmet manufacturer to make certain that the Sport Shieldz cap will not decrease (or alter) the protective characteristics of that particular helmet.